Day in the Life – 11 1/2 Months

Good morning and happy Friday!

I realized I hadn’t done one of these posts since James was 9 1/2 months – I’m sure you’ve been on the edge of your seats wondering what we’ve been up to 😉  Just kidding, but I do like to capture these moments to look back on.

This was our Monday.

Per my September goals, I set my alarm for 5:30.  I got up, poured some homemade cold brew and started working on a project for James’s birthday.  I’m working on editing a bunch of the videos we’ve taken this year and putting them together for a birthday video.  It’s been really fun to re-watch the old videos and also to learn how to use the program (I’m using VideoPad and it is free and super easy to use).

James woke up at 6:25 and talked happily to himself in his bed.  After a few minutes I went to greet him, always one of my favorite times of the day.  He gives the best hugs when he wakes up.

We played in his room for a while and then went to eat breakfast.  I don’t have any breakfast pictures because I hadn’t decided to do this post yet, but he ate (5!) homemade banana mini muffins and a hard-boiled egg, a new favorite.  He would normally eat fruit too, but we really need to go to the grocery store and are all out.

Right after breakfast, we go for a stroller run.  I knew it would be a busy day and we likely wouldn’t have time later, plus it would be really hot.

You guys, this run was not the best.  It was super humid out (not normal for Austin) and my stomach was cramping up.  I think I need to drink more water in the mornings before I run.  Still, we ran three miles and it felt great to get it done.

The only thing I don’t like about stroller running is the inability to shower right away when I get home.  I went to wash my face (love my current rose face wash, it smells so good!) and James followed me into the bathroom and decided to play in the bathtub for a while.  Whatever works little buddy.

We then played in my room so I could at least change out of my sweaty clothes.  James rearranged the books for us – thanks buddy.

He always gets out this Sitting Still Like a Frog book and wants me to read it to him.  It does look like it would be a kids’ book, but it’s really a book of mindfulness exercises for children and he is always disappointed lol (it is a good book though).

We eventually move into the living room.  I clean out the fridge while he plays with tupperware.  I then start to roll out my injured foot with a lacross ball – I am super bad about doing this, but it really helps when I do.  James decides the ball looks way too interesting and we roll it back and forth instead.  Oh well.

It’s almost nap time so we go sit in the backyard for a few minutes and sing some quiet songs.  I find this really helps him unwind before naps.

I change his diaper, read him Global Baby Bedtimes and Flip, Flap, Fly, sing him a song and put him in his bed around 9:20.  We’re using this HALO Sleep Sack for naps lately and I love the length, it should fit him for awhile!  It does run big though, we got a large at first and had to exchange for a medium, and James is really tall.

I finally took a quick shower and then started cooking some chickpeas and writing this post.  I also sent some emails for my sister’s upcoming bachelorette party, which is coming up and I’m super excited about!

James woke up around 10:15.  I nursed him and we got ready to go to Trader Joe’s for the week.  We had been hoping to meet up with some friends at the Wildflower Center, but sadly James and his little buddy are on opposite nap schedules and it didn’t work out, so grocery shopping it was!

I was SO bummed that they didn’t have the cold brew I mentioned last week!  I was assured it was just out of stock, not discontinued, so fingers crossed….

We got home just in time for James to eat lunch.  I almost always eat lunch with him, but I wasn’t hungry yet and also wanted to get the groceries put away, so I did that while he ate today.

He ate a super random lunch of peas, healthier mashed potatoes (made with olive oil and greek yogurt), black beans, zucchini fritters, and part of a peach.  He is a hungry little guy!

I ate a little later while he played and crawled around the living room (spinach, brown rice, chick peas, carrots, hemp seeds, and tahini dressing).  I had never had this brand of kombucha before and I loved it, it’s my new favorite.

We read books and sang songs (and climbed furniture…) until it was time for his afternoon nap at 1:30.

While he slept, I made another batch of kale salad for the week, did the dishes and some general cleaning and wrote some more of this post.  I also started researching how to introduce whole milk to babies when they turn one – any tips?

Some light reading with a side of bed head

James woke up around 2:45.  I went to greet him and he seemed a little grumpy for some reason, but we made the best of it.  I nursed him and we played in his room for a while.  He still seemed grumpy and I decided to try giving him an afternoon snack.

He’s in kind of a weird place where he seems to be starving by dinner time, but is not always interested in an afternoon snack.  Today, he was all about it though!

Chick peas please!

He ate chickpeas and we shared the rest of his peach from earlier.  (I tried to start daily afternoon smoothies at one point, but the blender seems to be his #1 fear in life, so we’re taking a break from that.)

After that it was pool time!  We put away his little pool when there was a big storm and never got it back out so he hadn’t played in there in weeks.  He was loving it today.

I set up a blanket right next to the pool so he could climb in and out when he wanted and he had a blast.  It was so fun watching his excitement.  This was definitely the best part of my day.

We eventually moved back inside and played in the playroom until my husband got home from work.  We were having leftovers for dinner, so I quickly assembled everything and we ate together.

Salmon, pasta, avocado, butternut squash, broccoli

After dinner was the normal bathtime, nursing, and Goodnight Moon.  James has only wanted like 5 minute baths lately for some reason. He doesn’t mind getting in the tub, but starts climbing out after few minutes.

After he went to bed at 7, I poured a glass of wine and we watched a couple of episodes of Bloodline on Netflix.  We just started it, but I am totally hooked!

We didn’t do anything out of the ordinary, but it was a really good day.

What was the best day you had this week?

What’s your favorite part of a normal week day?


*Please note this post contains affiliate links – I get a small percentage if items are purchased, at no cost to you.  I only include items I have and love.  Thanks for your support!

You may also like


    1. It’s so good! I was hoping to find more when I was at Target today but sadly they didn’t have it 🙁 I’m definitely getting more next time I got to TJs though!

  1. When do you sleep and how come you don’t seem nearly as sleep deprived like I am? Setting the alarm wow? I am praying for extra 30 minutes in the morning and sometimes get to fall asleep with my son at lunch. Otherwise is no sleep for me

    1. I should have said, I am a BIG time morning person. I’m useless in the evenings and go to bed early, so I almost always get at least 7ish hours of sleep. I also never set an alarm until James started consistently sleeping through the night. Sleep is so important to feel good, but I am really loving the time to myself in the mornings too. I hope you get some rest soon, thanks for reading!

  2. I need the “sitting like a frog” book! I’m always looking for strategies to help Liam deal with his big emotions. Thanks for sharing!

    1. Of course! I found it at a Montessori conference and had to get it. I haven’t used it with James yet obviously, but have looked through it and it has some great, really simple ideas. It also comes with a cd with the mindfulness exercises. Let me know how it goes if you try it!

    1. It really is! We went out to lunch today and he ate the whole little pizza we ordered him, I’m already dreading the grocery bill when he’s a teenager lol. I really like routine too! It’s fun to mix it up sometimes, but a consistent routine keeps me from stressing out.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *